Monday 3 May 2010

Planting - Blueberries

My blueberry bush was my most lavish purchase of the day but is also the most long-lived.  I stole one of the pots from the sadly deceased Fuschia that Angela gave us last year and replaced the soil with the ericaceous (lime-hating i.e. acidic) compost which Blueberries apparently like to live in.

Blueberries appear to be quite hardy little plants and shouldn't mind the British weather so I've high hopes for this one, as an added bonus the leaves apparently turn a rather lovely shade in the autum/winter so I may move it up to the balcony later in the year.

This is a "Patriot" cultivar of the High Bush variety of Blueberry, assuming it survives the summer I may try and get it a friend for next year (of a different cultivar but same type) which should ensure better harvests.  Cultivar by the way is a portmanteau of cultivated-variety!

No comments:

Post a Comment