Saturday 4 September 2010

Dried Tomatoes

I've been stockpiling cherry tomatoes all this week, they're ripening like crazy and there are only so many times you can eat tomatoes in a week before they get a bit boring, so on Saturday I decided it was time to do something with them.  Some sort of pasta sauce seemed like the most obvious use for them but the receipes I found all wanted them skinned.... I think not!

After a bit of searching I came across the idea of oven-drying them (an english solution to sun-dried tomatoes!) so I enlisted Rob's help to squish all the innards out of the little tomatoes and then left them in the oven for several hours with some olive oil and herbs until they came out all chewy and dry.  They taste just like the sun-dried tomatoes I've bought before with very strong tomato flavour (which to be honest I'm not all that keen on!) so I'm thinking I will try chopping them up and baking some tomato bread later on or just let Rob eat his way through them in salads etc.  Much better off this way than gradually going off in the fridge though - for now they are tucked up in the freezer until I get inspired to use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment